Monday 9 August 2010

Arthroscopy: Going in for the Op!

Well, finally decided to have an operation on my knee! Decided to go for it now because I'll have my long Teacher's summer hols to get past the initial soreness and get back to driving. I've scanned in some of the details of the consultation here:

Although I initially decided to wait longer, one relapse too many and the offer to 'go private' from my very kind parents (thanks mum and dad!) changed my mind. I'm having an arthroscopy to check for other problems  followed under the same anaesthetic by decompression of the tender parts of the tendon. It feels like the right thing, with the physio and the walking I have regained good mobility but have plateaued now - hopefully this operation can correct the remaining stubborn problem and I can further increase my function beyond that. Feel quite nervous about going back a few steps, the level of pain I might be in after the op and also the (albeit very low risk) possible complications - but I'm just not ready to give up an accept that this is a good as it will ever be. Discarding the possible nasty complications the worst case is that I end up much better informed as to what is wrong and can get on with my life without 'wondering what if'. Likely case is that I do get a further reduction in symptoms (studies of arthroscopic decompression seem to show good results, for example a and b) and best case is that I get substantial improvement.

I'm going in on weds - just keen to get on with it now....fingers crossed.....

No comments:

Post a Comment