Wednesday 11 August 2010

Plica Removal and Patellar Chondroplasty: The Operation

Operation seems to have gone well. The surgeon found (and removed) the medial plica which was inflamed. There was also some degeneration of the lower, medial patellar cartilage which he tided (and hopefully stabilised) with radio-frequency. He did not remove any tendon material as he felt that the above two would dramatically reduce the pain I get - sounds good to me!. Walked out (albeit very gingerly) 5 hours after the op - no doubt made easier by the long lasting anaesthetic inside the knee joint. The swelling of the knee is enormous (yuck!). Check out this photo I took once I got back to my room.
Day 0
I think the medial incision is where the scope went in, the lateral one is where surgical implements went in and the superior lateral one is where the RF was introduced. For pain management I have been given diclofenac (twice a day) and paracetamol (4 times a day). Have also been given a basic physio routine to be followed until the stitches out. This routine seems geared to maintaining some mobility and muscle strength/firing. I'll put that up in a separate post in case it is useful to anyone

No comments:

Post a Comment