Saturday 31 July 2010

Possible Tendinos/Tendinopathy Treatment: Shockwave Therapy

This is the second treatment that my consultant mentioned. More properly called "extracorporeal shockwave therapy" it relies upon bombarding the injury with ultrasound in an attempt to increase new blood supply and healing (perhaps via the triggering of a new inflammatory process to 'remind' the brain of the injury). Again, not something I have tried. But here are some links:

Efficacy verdict on shockwave therapy (from NICE)

I decided not to go down the path of either of these since my consultant has not had good success with them on knees (some success on elbows) and also he wants to be certain that there are not other issues underlying which the arthoscope would show. From reading around I just did not feel that confident that these would not just be a waste of time and money - but they are much less invasive than surgery and might be worth a go before resorting to that - I'm interested to hear from people who have had a positive experience

No comments:

Post a Comment