Wednesday 7 July 2010

Possible Tendinos/Tendinopathy Treatment: Kinesio Taping

I have found Kinesio taping to be quite helpful. Basically this kind of taping (which has a 'wrinkly' look when the tendon is compressed (full leg extension) provides a gentle 'lift', rather than constrictive support. I have been using it on my longer walks when I don't have knee supports (once a week) and when I know I'll have a heavy day. I would not say that it had a strong impact - but does seem to provide some relief and also a psychological distraction by changing the way the knee feels. My physio trained me up on how to apply it (not too hard) and you can buy the tape online. Below is a picture of what it looks like when applied (this one had been on for two days and was starting to come loose in a couple of spots). The 'wrinkles' pull up a convolution in the tendon and skin - its not just loose taping....

No comments:

Post a Comment